Serves 4 Preparation time: 70 min
- 2 quality steaks, sirloin, striploin or fillet (must be well aged to ensure tenderness)
- 75-100g green vegetables e.g. green beans, mange-tout, asparagus
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and lots of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or wine vinegar
Heat the grill/pan to maximum, a cast iron ridged pan gives excellent results. Place the steaks in a shallow dish. Place the prepared vegetables in a bowl. Mix together the oil, salt, black pepper and balsamic vinegar.
Pour half the mixture over the steaks and the remainder over the vegetables, mix well.
Place the steaks on the grill pan and cook for 2 minutes, then turn to sear the other side. Leave to cook for two minutes before turning again.
Continue to cook, allowing a total of 3-6 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the steak is and how you like it cooked. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you cook the vegetables.
Place the vegetables on the hot pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Serve with jacket boiled potatoes.